Easy and Cheap Homemade Dog Food Recipe
We feed ourselves quality meals, along with our children. We worry about what we put into our bodies, but many people just head on over to the pet food isle and grab whatever they feel is adequate enough to provide nutrition for their pets. Not to mention, if you have many pets you may even buy those big bulk bags of dry dog food that are certainly lacking. They have the basics, but sometimes the basics are not really healthy. This easy and cheap homemade dog food recipe provides all the nutrients your pooch will need.
As this post is being written the dog food is in the oven, this post will be updated once removed and broken to show the end result.
- 4 cups of whole wheat flour
- 3 cups of rolled oats
- 1 cup of dry milk
- 3 cups of brown rice
- 3 raw eggs
- 1 cup of bacon grease
- 3 cups of chicken stock
- 1 cup cooked carrots
- 2 large cooked sweet potatoes
- 2 to 3 cups of meat product: livers, fish, shredded fat.
- Combine all dry ingredients in one container, whole wheat flour, oats, dry milk. After fully combined, add the cooked brown rice.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs. Pour in the melted bacon grease and blend, add in chicken broth slowly and make sure its completely mixed.
- Stir liquid ingredients into dry mixture and mix well. You will not want to dump the liquid in quickly.
- Add the cooked meat products and mix well.
- Add in cut up cooked carrots and cooked sweet potatoes and mix gently.
- Preheat oven to 200 degree’s
- Grease cookie sheets generously
- Bake for 40 to 55 minutes when the top browns and the food starts to pull from the side of the pans.
- Let pans cook to room temperature and then break the food into dog food sized chunks. Store up to 5 days in a airtight container and put the rest into plastic bags in the freezer.